Friday, August 21, 2009

Catchin' up ~ part 3

Our last hurrah of the summer was a day trip to Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock near Brevard, NC. I had been there on a trip in high school and wanted to go back. I found out it's not but a couple of hours from here so we (the six of us and my inlaws - thank God for SUVs) left earlyish Saturday morning. (That means as early as our slow tails can drag ourselves out, but not as early as some people.) We drove up and found it with no problems. We stopped off at Looking Glass Falls first. It turns out that Looking Glass is one of the few waterfalls you don't have to hike to get to. This is essential with 4 smaller children.

When I went back in high school, I remember my grandmother telling us about this waterfall that she climbed down these bunch of stairs once to get to. Then she almost didn't make it back up. She swore she'd never go down it again. Well, on our trip back then, she climbed down and when she headed back up, she realized that she was at that same falls. I have fond memories of that trip with them.

As for our trip, we made it up and down the stairs with no problems. The kids got out to splash around and even us big kids waded around. We attempted to go down to the falls, but chickened out when we felt our lower extremities growing numb. We really enjoyed ourselves. It was just perfect.

After our stop at the falls we ate a picnic lunch, which was at a nice little roadside park and then went to Sliding Rock. It was quite an adventure. I remember sliding down it before and thinking I would surely die from hypothermia. This time I experienced that same insanity exhilaration all the while trying to keep 2 of my children from drowning. It was fun and scary all at once. My flip flop nearly became a victim of the slide as I lost it about half way down (better known as 4 seconds after I sat on the rock and hurled by large butt down it), but it floated between two boulders and I was able to grab it.

We left there and stopped in Gaffney to visit with my sister in law and her family before we headed home. It was one of the best trips we've had thus far and I hope we get to go back many more times.

To quote Mastercard: Gas to NC - $35, Admission to Sliding Rock - $5, making end of summer memories - PRICELESS!

Looking Glass Falls


MaMaw & PaPaw with the kids


Jon Tyler along for the ride - the story of his life


Hannah wading around


Do you think Donnie's cold by the look on his face? I think those people who ventured all the way down to the falls were crazy Canadian.


Corey thoroughly enjoyed himself


Allie taking a break.


Corey fell in right before I snapped this shot.


A rare shot of me with the monkeys. I don't like relinguishing control of the camera.

3 comments:

grammyjoan said...

Tracy, that looks like lots of family fun; great memories.
I can tell you and Denise share your talent for delightful writing!

Chrissy said...

I want to go to there! I wonder how far it is from Greg's folks. It looks like so much fun!

**TRACY** said...

Chrissy, it is right inside the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, if that helps. Shouldn't be too far, only took us about 2 hours) and it's awesome. Your kids would love Sliding Rock. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at that), we didn't have any shots of that.