Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Today I am blessed

I've struggled with how to start this today, but I have been blessed today to have healthy, happy kids. One of my best friends had her baby Monday a few weeks early and she started out on a ventilator. She is doing much better now and off the vent. Her parents have gotten to hold her and I praise God for answered prayers on her behalf. Another family in our area is grieving the loss of their newborn to a heart condition. I do not know the couple personally, only some of the family members, but my heart hurts for them. I can't help but think, because Jon Tyler is only a few months older than she was, of the times our paths could possible have crossed. Would they have attended preschool together, been in the same class in grade school, or played sports together? I also ran across this blog today, the story of Magdalena at http://noahandjulieroberts.blogspot.com, another precious baby who died far too soon. She had Trisomy 18 and her parents knew her chances of survival were almost none outside the womb. It was heartbreaking to read a post entitled "Happy 120 days" because they knew most likely, they would never get to post one entitled "Happy 1st Birthday." To me that seems like the cruelest of things for a mother to go through - to know that her child is safe within her, alive and moving, but will not survive on the outside and yet be powerless to stop that baby from being born. When it comes down to it, though, we are all essentially powerless to really protect our children. We can teach them to stay away from dangerous situations, guard them from accidents, and pray for their health and safety, but ultimately God is responsible for them. What a relief that it's not all up to me! I don't know why He chooses to take some children home before they ever get to live, and I don't question that. Today I was just reminded that everything pales in comparison to having healthy, happy kids and I never again want to take that for granted.

No comments: