Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Days Past and Present

We woke up to this wonderful sight this morning! School was, of course, cancelled.


So the children quickly assumed this position and began demanding to go out in it.



After a quick pose just to say we capture Jon Tyler's first snow, the fun began.


There was joy and glee for some who don't really remember getting to play in the snow,


attempts to build a snowman,


and plenty of snowballs.


What snow day would be complete without snow angels, which each attempted to make. They turned out more like snow-grass angels, but they were still fun!



All this snow made me nostalgic for snowfalls of the past. I lived here several years before getting a taste of a large snowfall. It was a crazy week of ice and snow, the week before and of Hannah's due date. School was cancelled for 6 days! SIX! We had snowball fights, neighbors over - it was glorious! We even had to shovel snow with a shovel that was left when we bought our house. I wondered then why we kept it, but here's why.



Here's how I looked during that snowfall. And not one to miss out on the fun, I participated in the neighborhood snowball fight even then.



A few years later it snowed heavily again. The most snow I'd seen. Period. I stuck a ruler in the yard and took a picture which I can't find now, of course. I'll probably run across it in August and I'll post it then just for fun. Here are a few pics of that snowfall, but the best memories I have of that are not in photographs. It is of taking a then 4 year old Hannah sledding - a first for both of us. Thankfully she still remembers it, too, and I hope she always will.


No comments: