Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Son's Obsession Has Gone Far Enough!

My 5 year old is going through a phase, as most young boys do. I think his life has actually been one big phase after another. We have been through the Bob the Builder phase, Incredibles phase, the Spiderman phase, the I'm-a-different-superhero-everyday phase...I could go on. This phase is slightly different. It deals with a word. Are you ready? Booty. Not the pirate kind. The one on the rear side of your body kind.

(Let me digress to say I knew this would happen one day because my friend's son once has a similar phrase phase, only his was, "Shake your booty." It was all he said for a long time. "Good morning, how are you?" "Shake your booty." "What would like for snack?" "Shake your booty." I had him in Sunday School one time and I posed a questioned to the 4 year olds. Of course, the whole class chorused, "Jesus." Not him. He answered with "Shake your booty." He is now 11 and has since recovered so I have hope for Corey.)

He uses it for nearly everything, regardless of the measures we have gone to to stop him. I have learned that he means no disrespect or ill-feelings toward the person, well, most of the time. He does often refer to his sister as Hannah Booty-tana in an argument, but other than that I think he finds Booty-head and other phrases in which he can use the word terms of endearment. I have a terrible time convincing Ms. Hannah Booty-tana that he means no harm. He simply uses it to express himself. She isn't buying it and she tells me everytime he utters the word booty. Like when he is singing "Backward" by Rascal Flatts (you get your house back, you get your car back, you get your booty back) or when she asks him to play and he responds, "Yes, booty." (This is followed by a fight over the word booty and how I've told him to stop..blah, blah, blah.) His favorite TV show is now Spongebob Bootypants. This morning I've realized how far this has gone, however, as he bellows from the bathroom part of a Bible song, "Zac-Booty, you come down, for I'm going to your booty today." And I remember - this too shall pass. One day I'm gonna miss his booty-head!

No comments: