Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How to install mirrors in the bathroom

About, oh, 3 months ago I bought mirrors for the kids bathroom - 3 long ones - not because I didn't think they could share, but mostly because we have a long blank wall in there and it was all I could come up with. I am so not Martha Stewart. So about 2 weeks ago Donnie and I decided we would put them up real fast since we had a day to ourselves. This is where we encountered problem #1 - the mirror brackets were too small. We also encountered problem #2 - we forgot to check at the hardware store for bigger ones. After putting this off for several days, we discovered that they do not make the size we needed. Time for plan B - mirror adhesive tape. Bought some, decided on Friday I was gonna do it or die (some call that nesting). Adhesive tape says I need 1/8 in. per 1/8 lb on mirror. I decided I needed approximately 32 inches per mirror (yes, I weighed the mirror). That is, by the way nearly $9 in tape. I bought a level too since the 3 year old lost mine. Measure, leveled, put on tape, leveled again and stuck it to the wall. Didn't take that long, but I noticed a curious thing while I was taping - a little white tag on the back with the size of mirror and this sentence: "Installation instructions: Screw through molding." (Dear mirror company, Do you think you could have put that in a more conspicous place? or at least alerted installers where to find directions? Sincerely, a disgruntled mirror installer) Didn't bother me because I had already installed 2 of the 3 by this time. Proceeded with tape as planned and this is my handiwork.





Wish I had taken a picture the next morning when they were all neatly leaned against the wall again as they had been for 2 weeks. So to end this saga, the kids and I went to the hardware store to buy white screws for $5 and screwed through the molding. Mirrors now firmly in place, I have this life lesson to share....













All's well that ends well.












(Betcha thought I was gonna say, When all else fails, follow the instructions, but that is not my fault - I can't help the mirror company's mistake)

No comments: